Monday, February 10, 2014

The Best Thing I Ever Saw...


Was in a plastic box. In front of a window of the Duke Hospital Pediatric Cardiac ICU. While it was snowing outside. We ate breakfast and came back to the ICU this morning. On the way in, the nurse said, "I got her all packed up to go." Awesome, I thought. Awesome. Foster overachieved with her feedings to the point where they decided they could bypass the transitional nursery and send her straight to her own room.

I was not prepared for what I felt when I walked in an saw her. No tubes, no oxygen. All of the machines had been removed from her station. She looked just like a normal baby in a normal baby bassinet. I wish I had the words to describe it. I turned into a blubbering idiot. The emotion was more powerful than hearing her first cries in the operating room when she was born. I. We get to take her home. We get to love her. Thank You, thank You, thank You. 

We are now in Foster's room. She's eating well and doing great. I still blubber like an idiot from time to time when I look at her. She needs to eat every two hours and get regular checks from the nurses so we are prepared for no sleep at all. But it's so good.

Please pray for Foster's roommate in the ICU, a four month old baby girl who was not doing well. She's been on my mind much of the day.

Much love,
Drew & Anna




4 comments:

Becky Blanchard said...

That is just the most wonderful news!! How long will she have to stay up there? Are you allowed to stay in the room with her?? What about visitors?? I'm so happy for all of you!!

Unknown said...

What a precious little Wonder Woman:) I am over the moon happy for you all!

Unknown said...

So happy for Foster Grace her parents! She is definitely God's little miracle. Love you guys!

Unknown said...

So happy for you all! Foster Grace is an amazing little girl and for sure God has smiled down on all of you :) Can't wait to see her and give you a big hug!!!! Love and prayers continue!!